What is a valance?
Umbrellas and in particular the covers (also called membranes) on the umbrella frame are offered in a huge variety. The valance is a part of the cover and is located at the end of the struts. Modern umbrellas usually don't have a valance, but a classic umbrella comes with a valance which of 25-30cm for instance (large umbrellas). The quality of an umbrella can be seen at a valance as well; depending on how solid a valance is stitched, the better the fit of the membrane.
Arguments for a valance:
- You like the classic shape
- You would like to use the umbrella for advertising purposes
- Longer protection against setting sun
Arguments against a valance:
- You like the modern, straight shape
- A valance can cause noise when it is windy